All aboard the yarn express—the Choo Choo Train Design is here!
Get ready for a wonder-filled crochet journey with this Choo Choo Train design! From home decor items to baby shower gifts, this kiddie crochet pattern will instantly add a touch of charm to your project.
I realized that many kids are often fond of vehicle toys. Whether it’s a cool automobile with a fiery design, an aircraft complete with passengers, or a train with rainbow colors, kids adore them!
With this in mind, I created this fun and bright train crochet pattern you can use if you’d like to surprise a kid who’s obsessed with trains or train sets.
To instantly attract the children’s attention, I chose lively colors. These include the primary colors: blue, yellow, and red. And then to make the print more exciting and complete, I added some white smoke, blue sky, and green grass to the scenery.
I think it looked like a scene from a cartoon or child’s movie—it’s so charming. Also, similar to my other patterns like the Solar System Planets and Space Rocket, you can switch the original color scheme to the shades you prefer.
You can even personalize it with the name of a child or loved one or add additional details by embellishing it with appliques. You can make a sun, a bird, some flowers, and anything that goes well with the print. This level of personalization makes your creation extra unique and thoughtful.
Aside from being customizable, this train-themed crochet project is also educational. Creations with vivid, captivating prints can be a fun way to teach children about trains, colors, and shapes. They can also inspire a lifelong interest in trains and crafts.
With this train crochet pattern, you’ll be able to make plenty of items in varying sizes and uses. You can make a huge bedspread for a child’s bed, adding a playful and colorful touch to the bedroom and further making it a cozy space.
Another idea is to make a versatile baby blanket that expecting parents will greatly appreciate. A train baby blanket can be a practical and gender-neutral baby shower present they can use year after year.
The adorable baby blanket can double as an oversized decorative piece, an entertaining playmat, or a comfy stroller blanket.
These differently-sized projects are all possible since this pattern is presented in two different formats. You can choose to follow the row-by-row pattern for smaller projects or opt for the C2C crochet pattern for larger creations.
If you’re a beginner and prefer the corner-to-corner crochet, this in-depth guide on C2C is great material to read from time to time. It contains all the information required to master the technique, including video tutorials and handy tips.
There’s also a free single-page graph below you can check out if you’d like to practice and start a C2C project right away. Enjoy!
Choo Choo Train is a digital download (available in PDF format only) that you can use to crochet a blanket using various techniques, such as C2C, Mini C2C, SC, HDC, Tapestry Crochet, etc.
You can also use this design for other crafts such as knitting, cross-stitch, diamond beads painting, Hama beads, plastic canvas, and any other crafts that use pixelated images.
Please note, that this post may contain affiliate links. I will earn a small percentage if you purchase any item through the links on this site, but it will be at no cost to you. You can see my full disclosure policy here. Thank you for supporting my work and this blog.
Scroll down to read more about this pattern and to get the Free Graph for this design.
If you like this design, please Share and Pin! Follow me on Pinterest here. Tag me @magicyarnpixels with your finished items, I would love to see how yours turn out.
Choo Choo Train pattern details
Choo Choo Train graph and finished project sizes
The size of the Choo Choo Train graph is 80 squares high by 100 squares wide.
The finished size of your project depends on various factors such as the chosen stitch and hook size, the yarn weight, and your tension while working.
Likewise, the amount of yarn needed for each color depends on the following: technique, stitch choice, hook size, yarn weight, and tension.
Use the Finished Size & Yarn Quantity Calculator to get an idea of how much yarn you will need and how big your project will be.
Color palette for Choo Choo Train design
You can follow the original graph and use these 8 colors: blue, white, black, brown, dark blue, yellow, red, and green, or create your own color scheme to use.
I’ve calculated the number of squares used by each color to make it easier for you to calculate how much yarn you will need to complete your project.
When you purchase the PDF Pattern from my Etsy shop, you will get:
- graph information (colors, links to calculators, contact info) and how to read the pattern
- digital image of the design on one page (digitally edited photo, not a picture of the finished item)
- the graph on one page
- written row by row pattern for tapestry crochet
- row by row color block pattern for tapestry crochet
- C2C written pattern with details such as working on the right or wrong side of the pattern, total square count per row, if you are making an increase or decrease row, etc.
- C2C color block pattern with color blocks that show you the number of squares to make and the squares’ orders
- the large graph split on multiple pages (4 or more pages)
Not included in the pattern file:
- yarn quantities – this depends on the yarn and technique you are using and it’s up to you and your taste if you want to do this design in c2c crochet, mini c2c, etc. Depending on the chosen technique, you will need different quantities of yarn which you can calculate using the yarn quantities calculators above.
- yarn and hook suggestions – this design can be made with any yarn brand and hook, the only difference will be the size of your project which you can calculate using the finished size calculators above.
- crochet tutorials such as how to c2c crochet etc – I might be linking to outside video tutorials to show you certain techniques, but this pattern is not designed to teach you how to crochet a certain technique.
Choo Choo Train free graph download
Are you interested in trying out this design? You can easily do so by downloading the free one-page graph below. It’s a quick way to get started and track your progress.
If you need the full row-by-row written pattern and the large graph on multiple pages, you can buy it from Magic Yarn Pixels Etsy Shop.
Right-click on the image to download the Choo Choo Train Chart on one page in PNG format.
Buy the multipage graph & written pattern for Choo Choo Train
Get the complete pattern below, including the row-by-row written pattern, color block pattern, and large graph on multiple pages.
Choose the option that suits you best to create an adorable blanket for your home.
Includes PDF Pattern + Help & Support
* TAX is added to the price based on your country of residence.
Love graphs? Want more value for your money? Join my Patreon family!
Your membership offers you 10 or 5 full PDF written patterns with multipage graph as sold in my shop. Below you can see this month’s crochet patterns.
Don’t forget to Pin this design for later and Share it with your friends. Follow me on Pinterest and Facebook for more designs.
Looking For Similar Designs?
- Cute Baby Dragon C2C Crochet Pattern For Year Of The Dragon
- Pink Unicorn C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- T Rex Dinosaur C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Choo Choo Train C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Space Rocket C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- D&D D20 Dice C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Medieval Dragon C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Bee Gnome C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
The pattern and images in this blog are the property of Magic Yarn Pixels, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. They are subject to copyright and are for personal, non-commercial use only.
You can sell the items made with this pattern on a small scale if you made them yourself (e.g. handmade to order or sold at fairs etc). Mass production of items using my designs is not allowed without my written approval. You may not distribute or sell this pattern under any circumstances.