Check out our new ocean animal design: Ocean Whale
You have to give this Ocean Whale crochet pattern a try if you’re on the hunt for a beginner-friendly ocean animal design.
Whales have been a popular theme in books, movies, and other media, which can evoke feelings of nostalgia and sentimental value.
For some people, a crochet project with a whale design may remind them of childhood stories like “Moby-Dick” or beloved animated characters like Free Willy.
This crochet whale pattern is more straightforward, made of only three colors and minimalistic details.
The two-toned whale at the center looks incredibly cute in the clean blue background, offering you plenty of room for customization. You can crochet coral, shell, or other ocean animal appliques to attach to your work and make the design even more ocean-themed.
Another way to personalize your creation is to experiment with different kinds of yarn. You can try using black metallic yarn for the whale’s body for a sparkly effect or use self-striping yarn for the background to add visual interest.
Because of this crochet whale pattern’s versatility, there are so many handmade pieces you can do.
First on the list is an ocean whale baby blanket. The whale design adds a playful element, making it a delightful accessory for themed nurseries or as a gift for new parents.
Next is a large c2c crochet whale blanket. Making such an item can add a cozy and personalized touch to your bedroom decor, especially if you have a nautical or ocean-themed bedroom.
It can be also repurposed as a play mat. If you have young children, a crochet blanket can be a comfortable surface for your little ones to play on. The ocean animal design can spark their imagination and make playtime more fun.
Knowing that you can also use this pattern for other crafts requiring pixel graphs, such as Hama beads, cross-stitch, and diamond painting, makes your project selection even broader.
The pattern provides both small and large graphs and is offered in two versions: c2c crochet and row-by-row patterns. This gives you the flexibility to select the stitch and technique that suits your comfort level and preferences for completing the project.
If you’re curious about trying out the corner-to-corner technique, I’m happy to share that there’s a comprehensive c2c crochet guide on this website to assist you.
It offers detailed instructions and tips to make your c2c crochet experience more enjoyable and successful.
If you’d like to get started on this project immediately, I have a special treat for you! Below, you’ll find a crochet ocean whale chart you can download for free. Happy crocheting!
Ocean Whale is a digital download (available in PDF format only) that you can use to crochet a blanket using various techniques, such as C2C, Mini C2C, SC, HDC, Tapestry Crochet, etc.
You can also use this design for other crafts such as knitting, cross-stitch, diamond beads painting, Hama beads, plastic canvas, and any other crafts that use pixelated images.
Please note, that this post may contain affiliate links. I will earn a small percentage if you purchase any item through the links on this site, but it will be at no cost to you. You can see my full disclosure policy here. Thank you for supporting my work and this blog.
Scroll down to read more about this pattern and to get the Free Graph for this design.
If you like this design, please Share and Pin! Follow me on Pinterest here. Tag me @magicyarnpixels with your finished items, I would love to see how yours turn out.
Ocean Whale pattern details
Ocean Whale Graph and finished project sizes
The size of the Ocean Whale graph is 100 squares high by 80 squares wide.
Based on the following: stitch of choice, hook size, yarn, and tension, your project might result in different sizes.
The stitch, hook size, and yarn weight you choose determine the needed yarn quantity for each color.
Use the Finished Size & Yarn Quantity Calculator to get an idea of how much yarn you will need and how big your project will be.
Here are some approximate measurements to guide you based on the feedback from our pattern testers and customers
- Yarn: Aran / Worsted / #4
- Hook: US I / Metric 5.5mm
- Approximate Size: 72in x 96in / 180cm x 240cm
- Yarn: DK / Light Worsted / #3
- Hook: US 7 / Metric 4.5mm
- Approximate Size: 60in x 74in / 152cm x 188cm
Color Palette for Ocean Whale design
This pattern uses the following three colors: black, blue, and white. Feel free to play around with other ocean-inspired color palettes to make your very own whale crochet blanket.
I’ve calculated the number of squares used by each color to make it easier for you to calculate how much yarn you will need to complete your project.
When you purchase the PDF Pattern from my Etsy shop, you will get:
- graph information (colors, links to calculators, contact info) and how to read the pattern
- digital image of the design on one page (digitally edited photo, not a picture of the finished item)
- the graph on one page
- written row by row pattern for tapestry crochet
- row by row color block pattern for tapestry crochet
- C2C written pattern with details such as working on the right or wrong side of the pattern, total square count per row, if you are making an increase or decrease row, etc.
- C2C color block pattern with color blocks that show you the number of squares to make and the squares’ orders
- the large graph split on multiple pages (4 or more pages)
Not included in the pattern file:
- yarn quantities – this depends on the yarn and technique you are using and it’s up to you and your taste if you want to do this design in c2c crochet, mini c2c, etc. Depending on the chosen technique, you will need different quantities of yarn which you can calculate using the yarn quantities calculators above.
- yarn and hook suggestions – this design can be made with any yarn brand and hook, the only difference will be the size of your project which you can calculate using the finished size calculators above.
- crochet tutorials such as how to c2c crochet etc – I might be linking to outside video tutorials to show you certain techniques, but this pattern is not designed to teach you how to crochet a certain technique.
Ocean Whale free graph download
Do you love this ocean-themed design? Give it a try and download the one-page graph below which you can use to keep track of your progress.
If you need the full row-by-row written pattern and the large graph on multiple pages, you can buy it from Magic Yarn Pixels Etsy Shop.
Right-click on the image to download the Ocean Whale Chart on one page in PNG format.
Buy the multipage graph & written pattern for Ocean Whale
Get the complete pattern below, including the row-by-row written pattern, color block pattern, and large graph on multiple pages.
Choose the option that suits you best to create a beautiful blanket for your home.
Includes PDF Pattern + Help & Support
* TAX is added to the price based on your country of residence.
Love graphs? Want more value for your money? Join my Patreon family!
Your membership offers you 10 or 5 full PDF written patterns with multipage graph as sold in my shop. Below you can see this month’s crochet patterns.
Don’t forget to Pin this design for later and Share it with your friends. Follow me on Pinterest and Facebook for more designs.
Looking For Similar Designs?
- Crochet Jellyfish Pattern free C2C Graph
- C2C Crochet Pikachu Pokémon Blanket Free Pattern
- Corner To Corner Crochet Whitetail Deer Blanket With Free C2C Crochet Graph
- Fun Crochet Baby Blanket: Rubber Ducks In A Row C2C Pattern
- Balloon Dog C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Peek-A-Boo Teddy Bear C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Sleepy Little Teddy Bear C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Gold Fish In A Bowl C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
The pattern and images in this blog are the property of Magic Yarn Pixels, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. They are subject to copyright and are for personal, non-commercial use only.
You can sell the items made with this pattern on a small scale if you made them yourself (e.g. handmade to order or sold at fairs etc). Mass production of items using my designs is not allowed without my written approval. You may not distribute or sell this pattern under any circumstances.