An Outer Space-inspired design: Solar System Planets
This Solar System Planets design is a wonderful project to take on if you’re looking for something both educational and artistic.
Creating or owning a solar system planets-inspired crochet blanket can be a fun and engaging way to display the beauty of our solar system. It can also be an educational tool to introduce astronomy to young kids.
Each planet you crochet can serve as a miniature representation of the real thing!
You can play around with the colors and try to make detailed patterns, mimicking the planets’ iconic features. Also, you can add celestial-themed appliques like stars or asteroids to your work. Doing so is an effective way to give your project personality and unique appeal.
I try to include as many colors as possible since I’d like to make this blanket eye-catching enough for the kiddos and quickly get their attention.
I used green, yellow, brown, and red for the rocket, sun, and planets and then made the background blue to balance everything out. You can make your blanket using these exact shades, or opt for something bolder or more muted depending on your liking.
You can also use different kinds of yarns like metallic or variegated ones, and create exciting textures and styles for your blanket.
This versatile solar system crochet pattern can be used in many creative ways, from decoration and education to practical comfort and gift-giving.
For example, in a space-themed bedroom or for an astronomy enthusiast, a c2c planets blanket can serve as a special bedspread. It improves the mood of the room while keeping you warm at night.
You can also transform this design into a wall hanging or tapestry. Mount it on a wall in a bedroom, study, or classroom to showcase its beauty and educational value.
If you know someone who is passionate about astronomy or science, this solar system crochet blanket makes a thoughtful and cherished gift for them. It shows that you put time and effort into creating something meaningful for them.
Whether you’re a beginner or a crochet pro, this is an enjoyable pattern to try. It comes with handy graphs and is written in two ways: C2C and row-by-row.
With that said, it can be used to crochet a project using various techniques, such as corner-to-corner, SC, HDC, DC, tapestry crochet, and more.
You can make large bedspreads and blankets using the C2C pattern, and adorable wall hangings and baby blankets with the row-by-row pattern. Its versatility lets you create projects in varying sizes conveniently.
By the way, if you choose to opt for a C2C project, feel free to check out this in-depth C2C guide for tips and tutorials about the technique. I think the easy-to-follow pattern plus the detailed guide is the perfect combo to make any C2C project a breeze.
I hope you liked this new science-inspired design, and keep scrolling if you’d like to grab the free one-page solar system graph below. Happy crocheting!
Solar System Planets is a digital download (available in PDF format only) that you can use to crochet a blanket using various techniques, such as C2C, Mini C2C, SC, HDC, Tapestry Crochet, etc.
You can also use this design for other crafts such as knitting, cross-stitch, diamond beads painting, Hama beads, plastic canvas, and any other crafts that use pixelated images.
Please note, that this post may contain affiliate links. I will earn a small percentage if you purchase any item through the links on this site, but it will be at no cost to you. You can see my full disclosure policy here. Thank you for supporting my work and this blog.
Scroll down to read more about this pattern and to get the Free Graph for this design.
If you like this design, please Share and Pin! Follow me on Pinterest here. Tag me @magicyarnpixels with your finished items, I would love to see how yours turn out.
Solar System Planets pattern details
Solar System Planets graph and finished project sizes
The size of the Solar System Planets graph is 100 squares high by 80 squares wide.
The final size of your project depends on various factors such as the stitch and technique used, hook size, yarn weight, and work tension.
Moreover, the amount of yarn required for each color is dependent on the same factors mentioned above: your technique, stitch of choice, hook size, yarn weight, and work tension.
Use the Finished Size & Yarn Quantity Calculator to get an idea of how much yarn you will need and how big your project will be.
Color palette for Solar System Planets design
The original graph has been designed with 9 colors: yellow, navy blue, gray, beige, brown, blue, light blue, green, and red. But, feel free to use your own color palette to make it more personalized and unique.
I’ve calculated the number of squares used by each color to make it easier for you to calculate how much yarn you will need to complete your project.
When you purchase the PDF Pattern from my Etsy shop, you will get:
- graph information (colors, links to calculators, contact info) and how to read the pattern
- digital image of the design on one page (digitally edited photo, not a picture of the finished item)
- the graph on one page
- written row by row pattern for tapestry crochet
- row by row color block pattern for tapestry crochet
- C2C written pattern with details such as working on the right or wrong side of the pattern, total square count per row, if you are making an increase or decrease row, etc.
- C2C color block pattern with color blocks that show you the number of squares to make and the squares’ orders
- the large graph split on multiple pages (4 or more pages)
Not included in the pattern file:
- yarn quantities – this depends on the yarn and technique you are using and it’s up to you and your taste if you want to do this design in c2c crochet, mini c2c, etc. Depending on the chosen technique, you will need different quantities of yarn which you can calculate using the yarn quantities calculators above.
- yarn and hook suggestions – this design can be made with any yarn brand and hook, the only difference will be the size of your project which you can calculate using the finished size calculators above.
- crochet tutorials such as how to c2c crochet etc – I might be linking to outside video tutorials to show you certain techniques, but this pattern is not designed to teach you how to crochet a certain technique.
Solar System Planets free graph download
Would you like to use this design for a project? Download the free one-page graph below. It’s a great way to get started and help you stay on top of your progress as you go.
If you need the full row-by-row written pattern and the large graph on multiple pages, you can buy it from Magic Yarn Pixels Etsy Shop.
Right-click on the image to download the Solar System Planets Chart on one page in PNG format.
Buy the multipage graph & written pattern for Solar System Planets
Get the complete pattern below, including the row-by-row written pattern, color block pattern, and large graph on multiple pages.
Choose the option that suits you best to create a beautiful blanket for your home.
Includes PDF Pattern + Help & Support
* TAX is added to the price based on your country of residence.
Love graphs? Want more value for your money? Join my Patreon family!
Your membership offers you 10 or 5 full PDF written patterns with multipage graph as sold in my shop. Below you can see this month’s crochet patterns.
Don’t forget to Pin this design for later and Share it with your friends. Follow me on Pinterest and Facebook for more designs.
Looking For Similar Designs?
- Tulip Bouquet Free C2C Crochet Graph
- Solar System Planets C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Moonrise Over The Ocean C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Marine Coral C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Mountain Sunset C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Night Forest Landscape C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Sunny Cloudy Day C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
- Mountain Landscape C2C Crochet Pattern & Free Graph
The pattern and images in this blog are the property of Magic Yarn Pixels, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. They are subject to copyright and are for personal, non-commercial use only.
You can sell the items made with this pattern on a small scale if you made them yourself (e.g. handmade to order or sold at fairs etc). Mass production of items using my designs is not allowed without my written approval. You may not distribute or sell this pattern under any circumstances.